Hard for me to believe that its end of the week already! I could have sworn yesterday was Monday. I don’t know about you, but time seems to fly quicker and quicker the older I get.
Yesterday I made this Chicken Tamale Casserole recipe I found on Pinterest. I was drawn to it for several reasons. First: it LOOKED yummy. That’s why we usually “pin” a recipe, right? It looks good. and Second: it sounded quick.
I needed quick and easy yesterday. Hubby was working late and kids had practices until way past dinner-time, so I whipped this together early in the afternoon and kept it refrigerated until later. It re-heated nicely in the oven for a quick meal when everyone finally got home to eat.
Chicken Tamale Casserole
- 1 box Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
- 1 can Sweet Corn (or Cream Corn)
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 cups shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- 1 Rotisserie chicken, deboned, shredded
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- Diced green onions for garnish, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 13x9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine: Jiffy mix, milk, egg, 1/4 cup shredded cheese, green chilies, corn and cumin. Pour into casserole dish a spread evenly in the bottom.
- Bake the cornbread mix for about 15-17 minutes. Remove from oven and poke holes all over the top using a fork. Pour enchilada sauce over cornbread and spread evenly.
- Top the cornbread with the shredded chicken, then the rest of the cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven, Garnish with green onions if desired. Cut into squares to serve.
Adapted from Gonna Want Seconds
My family really enjoyed this meal. I served it with some black beans. Next time I may serve a salad as well.