Tonight my daughter Erin rolled up her big teen sleeves and made dinner for herself and her siblings. What she made was this Tator Tot Casserole, which has been a favorite of my children for years and years.
I can tell you that I have made other versions of Tator Tot Casserole before, some with ground beef and vegetables, but this is the one we keep coming back to and its the one my kids ask for, always.
This casserole is great for breakfast, brunch or dinner. It has ground sausage and eggs in it, so it tastes more like breakfast and would be really great to serve to overnight guests in the morning. My kids just love it for dinner!
Tator Tot Casserole
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 regular bag frozen tator tots
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (such as Franks or Louisiana Hot Spot)
- Seasoning Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13x9 in. casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a skillet, brown ground sausage. Drain. Layer ground sausage in the bottom of the casserole dish. Layer shredded cheese over the sausage.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine milk, eggs, salt, pepper & hot sauce. Whisk to combine. Pour egg mixture over sausage and cheese. Top the casserole with tator tots. Generously sprinkle the tator tots with Seasoning Salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour or until the tator tots are golden brown and done all the way through.
You’ll have to let me know if you like this recipe! I love it for weeknights, simple and easy and there’s never a bite leftover!